Friday, June 04, 2004

Review about Things We Don't Review About : Nokia Developer Training April 30, 2004

This topic has been itching on my mind for a long time, and I never really posted it anywhere except share a few gossip with my fellow colleagues.

During April 30, 2004, Nokia arranged the Nokia Developer Training Seminar at the Conrad Hotel (5 star hotel) - Bkk Thailand. I work as a game designer consultant for a local game development company, and because of that I've decided to enter this seminar for my own knowledge.

Well the topics are rather interesting, though somewhat anarchic, as the morning session suited the manager level, whereas the afternoon session suited the technical developers.

What I will review right now is what happens inbetween - the breaks.

One thinig that I was overly surprised in this seminar is that the breaks are really served well. The breaks are well stocked with an assortment of various kinds of pastries, and in the morning - lots of expensive tea (not the lipton brand) are served. As you can see from all of that they invested a handsome sum on the food.

In most seminars I went to, most of the places will have a long lunch break in which attendees of the seminar will have to find somewhere nearby. The main point right now that I want to say that I'm rather surprised as Nokia has decided to foot the bill and pay for our lunches, a great buffet style lunch in the hotel ;)

Now if you talk about hospitality, coming to the seminar is certainly worth its weight in food - and I highly recommend any other IT professionals in this field to join any Nokia seminar if possible - its well worth the trip ;)

On a hindsight, a very funny part about it, is that the Nokia peeps never got the various Nokia development tool kits in CDs for many of our seminar attendees - which is very very strange considering all the investment put on food on beverages. The cost of food per person could be up to nearly 500 baht per person ($12), but the cost of a single CD is like 10 baht ($0.25). Strange isn't it?

No comments: