Monday, June 07, 2004

Notes for PhotoBlogging: Hello - Beta Build 553

After trying to find a workaround with the old build of Hello, in which I figured that using a different ISP works, I was contacted by Mike, the forum administrator of Hello, informing that he wants me to test the new build (beta) version of Hello.

One of the major problem of Hello is that it doesn't work if we are behind a proxy server. Due to many people using proxy servers, as me in the case it doesn't work in many of the computers that uses Hello. In my case, even by turning off my usual proxy and firewalls, it still doesn't work. Anyway, I figured that Hello works on another ISP so there are likely a few reasons for it, the first one I thought that it was due to the automatic settings in which some ISP will configure our connection to go through their Proxy was the cause. However after talking with the good fellas back at Hello, they mention another possibility in which the ISP may have been closing a number of odd ports which makes it impossible for Hello to connect.

On a short note, Hello connects on port 4060 which may be blocked by the ISP, so in this case, other ports such as 443 and 80(which is for HTTP) are allowed to be used as a fallback if the first port fails. I've tried testing this with both my ISP and I finally figured that it was likely my main ISP blocked port 4060, so that is why I wasn't initially able to connect to Hello with my default dialup connection.

With that problem out of the way, I was able to connect into Hello without any problem and finding the PhotoBlogging a real enjoyable experience :)

Thanks for the crew back at Hello for helping me out!

No comments: