Saturday, July 03, 2004

Q&A Madness Sample

Sorry, but I couldn't laugh at it. Doing Q&A is a lot of hot air, and I really meant it. I want you to read some of the following response I wrote for the following question in the Q&A:

Worksheet for KPI - Education Processes

1. Emphasis on shifting to new paradigm of lower classroom size to synergize student learning process
2. Emphasis on shifting to hands-on-approach in harmonizing the relationship between theorotical and practical aspects of classroom conduct for student centered learning process
3. Continual revision and update of curriculum to innovate and follow in accordance to the technological paradigm shifts which is observed accordance to the Moore’s Law in the advancement of computer technology field.
4. Continual expansion of potential and current computing facilities available as a vehicle for student to access and harness for continuation of development of significant magnitude towards a qualified and satisfactory result
5. Promotion of extra-curriculum academic activities through cooperation and entry with different professional national organizations for the pavement of higher level of competence and increasing awareness and standing in academic and business circles.


After reading through it, I have to admit, its a lot of hot air, and instead of during something useful, I and practically nearly 2/3 of whole department has to devote most of their working time answering through hundreds of pages of questionaires that may or may not be of benefit. Though I do think some amount of QA is good for quality improvement, once the QA bites a big chunk of time of the whole organization, then something is awfully wrong with the QA process - its not done to improve efficiency, but I'm starting to see images of a clueless pointy hair manager (hint - Dilbert) and his trivial management paradigm cluelessness. Notice the choice of words - completely incomprehensible.

Talking on a similar example about QA madness, one of the new QA requirement was the draft of the lesson plan that details out all the lessons that are taught in the class. That is said to supplement the course outline which is the primary course design document. I wanted to point out that the lesson plan itself, though would good intent turned out to be one of the worst idea in implementation I have had in the QA process so far. In this QA document, I lecture around 15 weeks a semester. In some classes I have 1 lab and 1 lecture class - and I had 6 sessions of class to teach. In overall if you calculate it carefully, it turns out to be:

2*6*15 = 180 pages of lesson plans

As you noticed even though I teach 6 session, practically the same in all the section, the QA process has stated that the lesson plan must include the date and time and exact details of assignments and material covered per class. At the end I remembered making the same copy of it and then updating the date and time macros in a database, and making a program to important the information to MS word using mail merge and adding a few random buzzwords just to add some variety. I call the process - hotAir v1.0, and at the end, I did finish 180 documents for the first and the second semester, 360 pages in total - which I had to fix about 24 pages due to wrong dates and times. It came in a big binder and off-course, it did practically no benefit to the teaching process except to waste many man hours generating hotAir v1.0 =p

I later learnt that my hotAir v1.0 was the model lesson plan (partly has to do with the fact that I was the only person who managed to finished the document) for the department, and off-course the 360 page lesson plan was left to rot in some dusty shelf.

As noted, though I may appear against the QA process, I can state before I end this blog is that the QA process is necessary for organizations - but the problem is when it gets excessive - and hinders the work. Right now, I have the feeling the QA process has overwhelmed the system, and currently morale is low and I do a reason to create my hotAir v2.0 to generate random glibberish for the QA documents before the deadline, just for fun ;)

What do you think about that? LOL

1 comment:

Xtercy said...

Umm Hot air v 1.0 ... cool man ..