Sunday, July 25, 2004

Cleaning up Bangkok

I was just reading the news yesterday when I happen to stumble upon a very interesting news that I would like to welcome. The news was that the PM of our country suddenly commented that Bangkok was an ugly city, and we just have too many eye sores - as in billboards and signs that makes this city ugly when compared to other cities he has visited during his "official visits" around the world.

To be this is a welcome comment as Bangkok is long overdue for a major cleanup.

Though I welcome this annoucement, I still would like to list out some of the potential problems or conflict of interest that I would like to outline based on this policy.

1)  The first comment is that on a similar basis to this one, our Bangkok Governor has taken away many of the trash bins located on a few major roads such as the Silom area - which has a dire lack of garbage bins.  The rationale behind that are 1) Eye Sore and 2) Easy to Conceal a Bomb in a TrashCan.  Based on that, the whole Silom area is devoid of trash cans - which is a major hinderance especially good upholding citizens who have to walk kilometer streches to find a trash can to empty their bin.

2)  The second observation that I'm worried about is the mention of road signs.  If this was implemented straight by the letter, alot of the signs telling the roads and locations would be taken out.  My own opinion that road signs in Thailand to be badly placed is shared with every other person that I know, and if they take out those badly placed signs, I wonder how motorist will find their way through Bangkok or other parts of our country if they never been there before?  Hmm... I guess they have to guess :P

3) The third observation is that the biggest billboard that I see out in the roads starts with this phrase: "Think New Do New".  I wonder if he would remove those billboards along with the other eyesores around Bangkok? 

4) The last comment is that I wonder what is his definition of a good billboard?  Maybe something from Ptt  would suffice ;)

1 comment:

Xtercy said...

Definition of good billboard = TRT & PTT

Wonder where can i find the bus stop now ?? Maybe need GPRS from AIS telling me the position of the bus stop..

New campaign .. NEVER GET LOST WITH AIS...