Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Discussion with a Movie Marketer

This morning while I was coming to work, I was approached by a marketer who quickly approached to ask me a few questions. This marketer that quickly came to market me, was this little lady, who seem to be working for some direct marketing company - which is hired to promote a local movie theatre chain. The bad news was that she decided to market movies to me.

In this case, I had a brief chat with the marketer and I think that moment should have been one of her most awkward situation. I didn't plan to trick her, or make her life miserable or such, but I was just answering the question in a totally honest answer.

I don't remember the transcript directly, but here is a short idea of what has happened:

Marketer - Can you spare me a few moments of your time?
Me - If it isn't long, I would be happy to entertain your questions.
Marketer - We would like to ask if you watch alot of movies.
Me - Not that much but a few.
Marketer - Ah, then that isn't a big deal. But you do watch movies right?
Me - Yes.
Marketer - Okay, then let me ask you when was the last theatre you gone to?
Me - I don't remember.
Marketer - Ah, that is very good, because it seems that the reason you don't go to movie theatres is because they are very forgettable. Let me introduce you to this theatre that is the best in country. If you have been there, I'm sure you'll never go to any other theatre in Bangkok.
Me - Errr?
Marketer - So what is the last movie you have seen?
Me - Lords of the Ring - Two Tower.
Marketer - That long ago?
Me - Yes.
Marketer - So why is that you didn't watch that many movies in the theatre.
Me - I find movie theatres to be cramp places and noisy places where I have to pay too much money for a shared seat at a designated time.
Marketer - Oh, but what about having the experience of seeing the movie before anyone else or going to the movie theatres with your girlfriend? What about going to the best movie theatre in town which gives you best bangs for your bucks?
Me - I have UBC (Cable) at home and I enjoy movies it at the comforts of my home instead of being crowded in a movie theatre. Regarding seeing the movie just because of it, I don't know why I should pay money just to see a movie before time just to have a conversation topic. It just isn't practical.
Marketer - ... (big pause) Are you sure you're not playing some type of sick joke just to make fun of me?
Me - I'm a honest person miss.
...long pause...



No comments: