Monday, August 30, 2004

Currently Reading: Ho Chi Minh - A Life


Currently Reading: Ho Chi Minh - A Life - This is the last book I bought from a local bookstore. The book is called Ho Chi Minh - A Life and was written by William J. Duiker. I took up this book for a read because I found out there is very little information about this great revolutionary - which I find him to be vastly different from many of the other revolutionaries of that generation that include Mao Zedong, Stalin, Che, and Castro.

I'm interested in Ho Chi Minh's life because in most modern American world history textbooks that I've studied to study in HighSchool paints Ho Chi Minh as a Communist menace in an villianous way - and omits great deal of details about the background about the leadup to the conflict - that includes alot about Ho Chi Minh's struggle to reclaim his country's independence and freedom from imperalistic nations - which included the French, the Japanese, and later the Americans.

What would have changed if France agreed to give Vietnam freedom as the tenants of the French Revolution? What would have happened if the world paid more attention to the demand for self goverance for former colonies around the world? Would Ho Chi Minh still be the Communnist revolutionary he is known today or would he be known as a liberator of the country in another ideology?

There are many questions that I'm currently pondering, and I hope that reading ths book would get me a better idea of how things are, and what could have been.

No comments: