Thursday, October 27, 2005

Opportunity in the time of Crisis

Today I went to A. Jaeb's (A colleague in the same office) Mother's funeral. During my visit in the temple with a number of other lecturers, in which we reached extremely early, I was dying to find something to eat after a long travel. I was fortunate enough to find that there was this ice-cream vendor just across the van in which I quickly walked towards the vendor.

The vendor was a queer looking old man in the 40s-50s who had an odd smile considering he lost alot of teeth, and wearing a hawaii styled shirt making him look somewhat like a tourist. At the moment he was talking with a kid who seem to be interested in getting an icecream. During that time, I was going through the selection of icecream and asked him to get one for me. He laughed and apologized to me that he ran out of most of the ice-cream and had only 3 type left. It was kind of queer to know that the icecream vendor ran out of icecream considering it was a cold and damp day, so I stuck a conversation with him.

It started out as a quick discussion about bad weather and how it was typical conception that icecream doesn't sell well during the rainy season. When on that topic, he stratched his head and laughed. He said he wasn't expecting his icecream to sell well, but he told me meekly that he hasn't seen any other icecream vendors in his usual route, and it might be the fact that most other icecream vendors decided to in unison to take the day off allowing him a one day monopoly of the district - which was nearly a total of a week's typical sale. When asked why he didn't stay home like the other vendors, he could only laugh and say that it was better to sell icecream to people than to just stay home and stare at the ceiling. The kid that was buying icecream could help but laugh at that.

So at the end, I bought an icecream (though I didn't like any of the remaining types) and continued talking with a few other trivialities with the vendor before leaving. When thinking back on the topic, I remembered that one of the phrased that we had a good laugh was "Opportunity in the time of Crisis" - who would have thought about that?

2 comments:

Xtercy said...

Yup be optimistic ... and the opportunities will be yours

The Cloud N◦9 said...

^^ Such an creative tale