Friday, October 21, 2005

Notebook Thermal Sensor Breakdown

I'm not trying to sound too technical, but I just wanted to recall about an odd triviality that I had of late. When talking about computers, I think I do know alittle bit about them having my share of experience as in assembling my own computer and etc. One of the computer breakdown experiences I've remembered very well was when I fried my PC powersupply by just simply touching it. Another experience that I remembered has to with a harddisk failure that was a result of my Harddisk casing had an undetected fan failure in the casing which attributed to a heat buildup which later made the harddisk kaput!

Related with the problem of that old harddisk, it made me more observant about the problems of heat with computers. In most of my newer PCs, I've had a habit to open up the casing so that there would be better ventilation and less risk for heat build-up that can cause serious problems. Later I also found that most computers also come in with heat monitors that can automatically detect potential problem when the heat rises above a level. That monitor is called a thermal sensor which is used to monitor if the temperature at the mainboard rises above a level that is deemed dangerous. These thermal sensors are also useful because it can automatically configure the strength of the fan. An example is that if it is hot, the fan works harder (generates more noise), and if the temperature is cool the fan would be at a lower setting (more quiet). As you notice, one of the most irritatible parts of the computer is the noise of the fan. Anyway, I'm just having a minor problem with my notebook lately. The problem seems to be that the thermal sensor of the notebook is kind of dead. At first I was thinking it may be a major problem, but since I needed to use my notebook for a lot of things, and I can't afford to send my notebook to the repair facility yet. After using the notebook for a while, I figured that the saving grace of the notebook was that when the thermal sensor goes down, the fan just runs at full speed all the time. By the looks of it it isn't a really serious defect considering by my estimate, the temperature in the laptop shouldn't be over the limit, but the major drawback is that its pretty noisy. Anyway, on a sidenote, I hardly care - there is noise everywhere in Bangkok, and I think another source of noise pollution won't be that bad :P

No comments: