Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Started Drawing After A Long Absence

I've used to do alot of drawing and illustrations during my highschool years. I remembered very well that we started our own manga drawing group in highschool and there were like 4 members - though only 2 actually did any drawing which there was Nick who was the president of the local club, and I who was the dictator for life :P

What we wanted to be are aspiring manga artist, but somehow it never really worked out that well, we all managed to get some degree of art aptitude but it wasn't enough to get in the professional league. After some more short dabbling - it ended up as a hobby that I did right up until the university years. However after graduation and work and etc., I haven't really been doing much more artwork, and something which I wonder myself why not. So after some short deliberation, I decided to day to pick up a pencil and start sketching a very quick portrait of myself :P p.s. Can't find any model so the best model is yourself ;)

The self-portrait was done in manga style which was a little different from what I usually did which was a little more murky, but anyway its posted on the title of this blog. After the quick sketch was done, I scanned it and did a very quick CG (computer graphic) illustration. In CG technics, I'm used to the quick airbrush technique, in which focuses on speed. The whole picture from the sketch until the illustration took about 2 and 1/2 hour which is alot less than my friends who takes days to week to finish a picture.

Anyway as you noticed the picture is more of a color sketch than a color painting - in which I'll probably attempt the next time out. The next time plan to work on a rather more complex illustration, probably the draft of the planned character design for my next computer game project that is in the planning stages. Hopefully I won't get too rusty then :P

1 comment:

Pisal said...

Just short notes that the quick CG I've made had a few outline problems, as noticed the shirt wasn't quite done right. Got to warm alittle more before I start working on bigger and more serious pieces :P