Friday, June 04, 2004

Dog Meat

This article is alittle old, just brushed it up and posted it here again.

I've just spotted out a column on the local newspaper reporting that chinese people are currently testing a new type of meat - DOG MEAT. That isn't really surprising because dog meat is a crusine in many South East Asian countries such as Laos, Vietnam, and in out laying areas of Thailand. The first time I heard it, there was an outcry from animal right activists from around the world. The case in China was special because their crusine was one of the top breeds of canine - St Benard. They are eating the national dog of Switzerland, so that drew waves of protest from Switzerland, and a whole load of animal right activists.


Somehow I don't like animal right activists. Most of them are too extreme. I'm don't have any grunges against Panda preservation, Whale preservation, Shark preservation, or any of those organization or crusaders. I have a kindred spirit for Shark Preservation to be exact. I no longer eat shark fin's soup, a delicacy in this part of the world, and I've been actively persuading my relatives to switch to Fish's stomach soup instead. As you see, these are examples of wild animals that are threatened because of people's dining habits. I have to say I feel sorry for Rhinos and Tigers because only a minor part of their whole system are used for a specific purpose (sex enchancing). I have to admit that is relatively very cruel to kill an animal just for a medicine that isn't exactly life saving.


In the dog case, I'm somewhat more adamant against them. I mean, they are being breed as livestock. What is wrong with that? We have chickens. We have pigs. We have cows. We have lamb. So what wrong more if we got dogs? Human need food to survive, and I don't know what is wrong if someone decides that a new meat is edible, and finds way to make it a crusine, and creates a way of cultivating and breeding them. That seems mightly odd. Can't you see that we are facing a shortage of food in our earth? A minority group of people are hogging all the food (developed countries) while the rest of them starve(third world countries). Animal right activists have enough to eat, alot to spare, and yet they complain when third world countries are trying to find additional ways to feed themselves.


As in the examples of crocodiles. They have campaigns to stop the use of crocodile skin. That was okay considering that most of the skin are from hunted animals. Right now, there are crocodile farms that breed crocodile for their skin, their eggs for food, and their meat for food also. Their presence are a tourist attraction, and I can't see the point where they say that is cruelty. That is a fact of life. Humans breed animals for survival. Humans breed animals for their hide. As humans became more educated, they found out that that they could breed animals just for the fun of it. The animal right activists mainly belong in the last group. As they have already got all of their needs, and find that animals are best for breeding as pets, they tend to forget how human civilization started out. Human breed animals for survival.

I'm looking down on some of these animal right activists because they overshoot the problem. If humans are breeding animals for food, I see that it is for survival. They are doing it for the food. That is nothing wrong. If it is, then I highly suggest them to take a look how our civilizations have started. Without livestock, civilization could not have been started. Humans should still be foragers living in little communities, migrating when there are no more edible roots in the area. How can we forget that?


I'm very very sour because if these animal right activists have enough time to stick their pointy noises out of their country to other people's business, why don't they have time enough to address some of our more urgent needs. Our human races are in troubled times because humans are treating other humans like shit. What are we doing about that? Nothing at all...


I'm very very disappointed that the Goverment steals from the people(in the form of taxes and public debt) whereas the elected and regular officials get richer by the day.


At least I can have one good praise for those animal right activists. You gave them a hard time...


If you think otherwise, comment me. I would be more than happy to exchange views with you.

No comments: