Thursday, October 28, 2004

Thierry Henry Lookalike


I've been a follower of English Premiership Football for a while, and my favorite club was Southampton. I adopted the club when I watched Southampton came from 2-0 to draw 2-2 with Newcastle at the Dell by one of England's most gifted but probably most unlikely Footballer - Matthew Le Tissier. Where as most of the country support bigger clubs like Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, or Leeds, I stuck with Southampton through the years and during the last few years, Southampton has progressed from being a pennerial relegation contender into a relative safe mid-table position.

However this year, things got off in an awful start and currently Southampton is lying low in relegation zone - a few months in the competition. This has been compounded with controversy over managers as our early manager Paul Sturrock got the sack after apparently having trouble with a few senior squad members and the chairman. After a long period of confusion, the caretaker Steve Wigley took over and things got worse with injuries to over 14 squad members and bad performances brought the club down the rankings. With all of this turmoil, its just that the younger players were allowed to play more, and I've got to see more of the younger players from the academy squad - which has been very solid in the last years - mainly Best and Blackstock.

Like old previous Southampton players like Luis Boa Morte - who I nicked named with Ian Wright lookalike (later called the headless chicken), I found that Blackstock looked very similar to Thierry Henry, so I quipped with my little bro who was a Middlesborough fan that we got an Henry Lookalike, and I hope he plays half as well X'D Well during the first few games, seeing the physical side of the Henry Lookalike I do think he has potential, and in the latest game against Colchester, he scored a hattrick to allow the Saints to win the game. Oh well, its a bright start for this young fella, and I hope to see more from him in the following months - too lift all the doom and gloom there :P

No comments: