Friday, April 01, 2005

Shopping Spree at Book Fair

Once or twice every year or so, I usually go off in a happy shopping spree when a Book Fair comes to town. In Thailand, where the majority of peeps hardly read any books, its nice to know that so many people are actually interested in visiting a book fair, though I suspect a huge majority of them go buy Mangas. I don't blame them though. To be exact, I'm also a really heavy manga reader myself, and this fair has the best discounts in town.

Yesterday I just had the chance to visit the book fair, and I just went on another typical shopping spree. As usual the first target are the manga stalls, and I got a sizeable number of manga to add to my collection. This year, I haven't got anything really significant. It was a far cry from the last year when I and my bro practically got a huge collection of Doraemon, Arale, Slam Dunk, and an assortment of other mangas from the fair.

After that usual stop at the manga publishers, the next stops are in the International Book Section. I usually have a strange taste for books. I like reading detailed history, and it just kind of irks me that there aren't many books on that topic in the fair. To be exact, this fair is geared more for casual readers, and the majority of books on display are usually novels and graphic books. Anyway, after rummaging through the fair, I've got myself a few good books on steep discounts, up to 70% on books (even new Books on good coding practice and design documentation seems to be low in Thai buyer's mind) that I used to want to buy, but procastinated until the fair.

Though my life has been pretty down in the dumps, all I can say, a good book does help keep a peace of mind :)

No comments: