Saturday, December 11, 2004

How to Twart Mosquitos?





Yesterday, in the common room, I had a discussion with my brothers about mosquitos. I was rather mad because I had a dozen or so mosquito bites divided between my arm to my legs - with very big red bitemarks that frighten alot of people when I shown the pictures. My little brother was bit a few times and he complained alot. My bigger bro, said nothing and told there weren't any mosquitos in the room.

After a short talk, we suddenly came up with the discussion of how to twart mosquitos. One of the common methods used were like DDT or anti-mosquito potions that can be applied to the skin - which campers usually use. However those earlier solutions are toxic, and hardly anything we want to be exposed in a long run. We later came to ask on the case of body smell and its relationship with the amount of mosquito bites. I had the most bites, and the last bath I had was in the morning. My little brother just had a bath, and he had a few bites. However my elder brother disproved this hypothesis as he took a baht during the afternoon, and way before my little brother. Body smell doesn't seem to directly be lated with the frequency of the bite. On an interesting note, we just noticed our brother was laced with colonge which was still strong after he came back from eating with his friends. My little brother doesn't use much colonge, and I don't use it as I am rather uncomfortable and somewhat allergic to strong unnatural smells (such as perfume/colonge).

After some small deliberation, I concluded that it may be possible that colonge/perfume could serve as a good deterrant against mosquitos, and currently I'm starting my experiment on that. In a few more weeks, I'll write again to figure if that works.

3 comments:

The Cloud N◦9 said...

I think that your hypotheses may right because in the perfume and cologne compounded with mixture of citronellal, which citronella oil is use to be mosquito repellant lotion as it is.

But the reason why you got most bites, I think, because you eat too much “Candy” It resulted to your blood sweeter than your bros then mosquitos like you!

Xtercy said...

i think ur big bro still smells after the shower .. (j/k)

but yeah mosquitos are repel by certain smell of the type of grass or hurbs.

ohh just found this:

link
safe and natural ingredients, Pine Oil (from Pine Tree), Garlic Oil, and Camphor Powder (a white crystalline substance, obtained from the tree Cinnamonum camphora).

Pisal said...

O_o