Saturday, December 25, 2004

Commercialization of Christmas

Today is Christmas Day. I'm not very excited. To be exact, I'm sick with fever right now.

Anyway in today's ramdom rambling, I do want to point about the perversions of the Christmas tradition into a sameless excuse for self-indulengce that we see today. How many of your friends go out to parties, and get drunk today? How many of your friends spend alot of money on buying themselves with the latest gadget in their Christmas shopping? How many of your friends actually spend time to do good today?

Sometimes I pity how much Christmas has been changed from a religious event into the consumerized event that we see today. Also I pity how the original Christmas has been changed by the Roman Catholic Church in their campaign to convert over the Pagean religions in the earlier period of the Church. Somehow I do feel that people have lost track of what Christmas really stands for, and after generations and generations of celebration, it just seems that we completely lost track of it.

Anyway, not to end this in a sour note, I do want to point alittle about the Christmas period. The main beauty about Christmas is that it emphasizes on giving, not taking, and this is one tradition that I do want it to continue. Giving is not just giving fancy and expensive gifts to boyfriend/girlfriend, but I do believe that giving the appreciation to all your friends/loved one is something that we all should never forget to neglect on this day.

Though I'm not a Christian, best wishes for all of you, and I hope you all have a Merry Christmas :)

No comments: