Sunday, December 19, 2004

Drafting my New Year Resolution

In today's blog I wanted to post about one of the New Year resolution I plan to promise myself to do with the up and coming New Year.

The first resolution I've planned is to live a more healthy lifestyle. After graduation, I had this nasty habit of staying all-nighters working on projects making me develop a love for fatty snacks and softdrink during the late and early hours. After I've started to sleep earlier, the habit persisted, and I just can't seem to stay away from them. Though eating some snacks or softdrink is okay, I found that lately I've been consuming insane amounts of softdrink and sweets, that I've suddenly felt its a good time to change.

A very good indicator would be my body weight. I am about 175 cm tall, so the highest weight I should be would be about 75 kg. After graduation, I was about 50 kgs. During the years I've been gaining weight like 5kg per year, and just a while ago, I've been hovering around the 75 kg mark, which is the threshold of what weight I should fix myself to. I believe the weight bloat has been caused by constant munching and softdrinks.

The second resolution is to exercise more regularly. At the moment, I've been exercising very little. The saving grace is that I usually walk alot, in an average day, the transit from my home to the bus stop is about 5km walk, so it does count as good exercise. However, I'm planning to turn back to more intensive exercise with sports like basketball or tennis. The safest way to lose weight and maintain a healty lifestyle is to eat normally, but exercise more. Some people who use pills or Atkin's diet run into serious health problems after weight lost, and that is not one that I'm planning to do.

Anyway, I've been working on these two resolutions already for about a month or so. I've limited my softdrink (sugary drinks) to about a glass a day from 3-4 glasses before and cut down alot of the snacks - which includes icecream after lunch - which has been a usual habit for years. Talking about it, yesterday, I went to the International Jazz Festival, and I didn't even had a drop of alcohol or softdrink!

The result? I'm feeling alot better physically, and I'm down to 72.5 kg. Not bad, 2.5 kg in a month, and being fitter in the process!

Oh well, thinking about it, I guess I should think of some other resolution for this New Year and do it for the betterment of myself and hopefully also this world :)

4 comments:

A_Neutron_Astray said...

Good idea, I've been trying to get fitter myself, and have been swimming twice a week, and if possible I want to do some jogging as well. However, I want to do the exact opposite as you, I want to gain more weight! I'm too damn thin!

Xtercy said...

well done .. keep it up man ...

if u not lazy can also do some jogging ... or back to sports like in the young dayz ....

i decide to have a big one pack stomch right now ... couldn't move my lazy butts around .. :D

The Cloud N◦9 said...

Great Idea, Great Example...I'm also have to think about diet too :)

Pisal said...

Seriously Win. If you really want to get Fat. Go eat alot of buffets, stuff up, don't exercise, and promptly sleep asap. That is the quick and easy way to get fat :P