Friday, March 11, 2005

The Traits/Accomplishments of Exceptional Leaders

Last week, my father dropped a book in my room. The book was entitled: "What the Best Ceos Know" which was written by Jeffrey A. Krames, and it was another book that the Thai PM has told civil servants to read. He dropped me the copy and told me what I thought about it. The next day I finished the book, though rather unimpressed. I have to admit the book is easy and fun to read and the author had the knack of summarizing key issues in short bullet points. However as being an avid reader, I do want to point out I do prefer business history books that offer more indepth details in the lifes of great CEOs than a collection of notes from the list. However for busy managers, I guess this book does cater the market well. Anyway, before I sign off this post, I just wanted to leave one of the key points from the book which I think would nicely sum up the 200 so pages of the whole book:

The Traits/Accomplishments of Exceptional Leaders

1) An "Outside-in" Perspective
2) An evangelical leadership gene
3) Understands the critical role of culture
4) Creates next generation products, processes, or solutions
5) Implements the best ideas, regardless of origin
6) Advances the leadership body of knowledge

2 comments:

The Cloud N◦9 said...

An evangelical leadership gene???...All business books talking about “Leadership”, but I wonder about how to play in “Fellowships” role! Seem like our PM had recommended many books. I heard he read a lot each month, Actually I think he read all business books. Anyway, If I have a chance I will see then, whether I want to read it or not;)

jeremy said...

evangelical leadership gene? sounds like one has to be born a raving madman to be a good leader. hrm...

the best business book i've read was by kyocera founder, kazuo inamori. highly recommend you read it if you can find it.