Sunday, March 06, 2005

Concert Rant

Yesterday I went to the Frances Yip concert. If you don't know who is Frances Yip and from the younger generation, its not strange because Frances Yip belongs to the generation before us. If I'm not mistaken during the concert Ms. Frances Yip used to quip that she was singing for over 30 years, which makes her in the age group as most our parents and maybe grandparents for our younger members. Her most famous recording was the title track to the Shanghai Beach, or in Thailand we usually call Jao Por Shanghai (Shanghai Godfather), in which anyone in the 80s and 90s in Thailand should be very well acquianted as it is one of the most famous Hongkong drama series that was imported into Thailand.





As you noticed, the age group that came to the concert are rather older than most other concerts - in which you would see lots of rows which are filled with white and gray hair. Though you might think this would be an enjoyable concert through memory lane, I have to admit I've grown rather weary of the concert habits of many of the people in the concert. In rock concerts, there aren't many mannerism that you have to follow except to refrain from punching someone in the face. In other pop concerts the norm vary. However as I grew up listening to alot of classical concerts, I've gained a few rather strict listening habits in which I had a huge problem when faced with a rather uncivilized audience, which I'll list things that I was rather irritated by listing out the following grievances:

1) People who wear too little clothes and get sick in the concert. In this example I do want to remind people that most concert halls are cold, and its advisable bring along a jacket or sweater than to stay fashionable.

2) Constant chatter during performance. I really have a short fuse when listening to a concert, and you hear people talking to and forth during the song, not after the song has ended. I suppose alot of people don't understand people pay to go to a concert not to listen to the people talk, but to hear the singer sing.

Anyway, during the concert, I ended up being like a order Nazi, constantly reminding older people around me not to talk during the song but during the intermission. I don't know what impression hit me, but all I know is that alot of people must thought of me to be strange. No matter what, at least having a peace of mind with less chatter around the concert is a good tradeoff, though I might suspect some peeps don't.

4 comments:

The Cloud N◦9 said...

I prefer "Kowloon Hong Knog Medley" of Frances Yip, thought it is a funny song.

Thinking about the same situation,due to I'm the people who don't like to talk with stranger, I might solve the problem in difference ways which might too aggressive I guess.

Anonymous said...

เราชอบ รู้จัก เพลง อะไรวะ ที่มี hongkong กับ เจ้าพ่อเซี่ยงไฮ้

Anonymous said...

เราชอบ รู้จัก เพลง อะไรวะ ที่มี hongkong กับ เจ้าพ่อเซี่ยงไฮ้ เออ Serie เรื่อง เจ้าพ่อเซี่ยงไฮ้ ชื่อ Serie Internation เขาชื่อ Shanghai Grands นะ

Pisal said...

The song name on the CD said Shanghai Beach not Shanghai Grand strangely. I really don't know why also, but just transcribing the name directly.

Oh well if you like it, you can get the CD. Its only ~250 baht for the best collection.