Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Slang

As being down in the weather both physically and mentally the last week, I happen to make a fool of myself by using slangs in the wrong language. In other words, I was using Thai Slangs by speaking it in English, and it didn't make any sense at all.

When I reflected back on it, somehow it makes me laugh at the absurbity of some of the slangs when literally translated. Here are some of my favorites:


LOST IN TRANSLATION

Snake snake, fish fish - the Thai idiom should mean the person doesn't know dittly squat!

Sleep Eat Home Eat City - the Thai idiom should mean sleep all day, being unproductive

Fuk - in Thai its actually a plant that you can eat, but in English, well I better not mention what phrase suggests

Kirei - a Japanese phrase that means cute, but the Thai word of the same name means the exact opposite!

Fab - A rather popular detergent which also is a Thai slang for a woman with little cleavage :P

Sick Politically - one of the few thai idioms that make sense after translation. Pretty nifty considering that politicians are generally slimey in a Universal sense ;)


Strange isn't it?

2 comments:

Xtercy said...

l0l cool.....

wanna work as sleep eat home eat city

The Cloud N◦9 said...

Using Thai Slangs by speaking it in English isn't sound chic at all :-/

My Dady said if anyone say fuk...u, we should sing back "fuk is a kind of fruit in thailand...lalala...♪"