Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Segregration on Buses?

I happen to stumble upon an article saying that "Women on
Buses Face Harassment" in which I want to highlight on the following
quote:

Another way to solve the problem is to have ladies only buses.


Regarding that point, I wanted to point out that we used to have
ladies only buses on rush hours about 5 years ago. One of the bus
routes that had lady buses was bus No.137. This experiment ran for a
year or so, and ended in complete failure.

First of all, there are low level of occupancy in lady buses as
cutting off male passengers will potentially cut off half the amount
of possible customers on the bus. With lower rate of occupancy in the
buses, the BMTA runs at even higher lost. With an already high lost,
BMTA cannot field more buses to compensate for the buses that were
allocated for lady buses. From that, male bus riders end up waiting
longer and longer for a ride. Basing on my own experience I used to

wait for 2 hours at a bus stop along Ramkamhaeng road waiting for a
137 bus, whereas 4 Lady Buses zoom by - in which most of them were
almost empty.

I wanted to point out that segregation of the buses is a completely
wrong approach to solve the problem of harassment on buses. By using
segregation, it is similar to labeling that all male bus passengers
are "sicko" and denying them equal access to mass transport system.
This draws uncanny parallelism with how USA was in the past, when
whites discriminated against the blacks and denied them the chance for
equal access to mass transport system. I wonder why are we following
in this direction?

Gender equality does not begin with segregation, but it begins when
Females manage to break out of their mold on a basic premise that they
are the weaker sex and stand up against these deviants.

1 comment:

The Cloud N◦9 said...

I agree with you that segregation of the buses is a completely wrong approach to solve the problem, but I felt less worry when I was in Lady-Bus.

From my experience, I found that some kinds of females like to be equal and some of them like to be under protected from male. As same as I found that some kinds of males respect to the equality in both genders and some of them think that to disparage female is one of their funny part-time jobs.

No matter on buses, walking, or even in personal cars women are still face to Harassment. My thought is to going out from the house that means facing to unlimited levels of society, some of them made me feel like they were just escape from prison yesterday, but some of them are good as angels.

Important is to teach the females to protect themselves from harassed, and try to teach male to respect gender equality.

Anyways, it’s hard to solve gender inequality problem. From the history The Paleolithic Age is only one age that had true gender equality!