Monday, May 08, 2006

A Tribute to the Thai Postal System

I just wanted to dedicate this blog about how great our Thai Postal System is. During the last few years, I have usually ordered books that cannot be bought in Thailand. During the last few years and with over a dozen orders, I wanted to point out that the postal service between countries isn't as bad as many people suspect or usually assume it to be.

Let me begin by talking about some of the bad points. I had a few bad experiences with Amazon.com by using the default free shipping. The first case that I had a problem was about a broken CD along with one of the textbook I bought. In this case, since the book was a soft-cover, it was broken during the shipping as the box that was delivered had inadequate padding. In this case, I could easily reclaim the CD. On another bad case I had, the box just simply collapsed during the shipping, and practically destroyed the whole binding of another hardcover book. In this case, I asked for another copy, but since they ran out of copies in stock, Amazon actually gave us the book for free - which was an example of great customer service! My comments for people using Amazon.com is to go for the better shipping service. Though it is more expensive, I do want to point that it is certainly worth the time, trouble, and grief, though I comment that their customer service is good for an online service :)

Anyway, about other services, I don't really have to much to comment except for the last book I bought. The last book I bought, I extremely careless during the part I had to fill the mailing address that I actually forgot to fill in a few very important fields. Let me illustrate.

Suppose my home address(notice the addy is imaginary) was:
512 Clover Street Soi 51

I was so careless I dropped out the house number and the addy turned out to be
Clover Street Soi 51

By the time I managed to contact the customer service, they already had shipped the item. At that time I knew that I was probably about a few thousand baht poorer, but somehow beyond my wildest expectations, the Thai Postal dude managed to actually deliver the book directly to my door address. Now that is why I must dedicate this post to the Thai Postal System. Though many people had bad impressions about them, I do want to point that I could never been happier :)


What I figured was the default Amazon.com shipping isn't really that good due to packaging reasons. I found that Amazon.com usually tries to package books in the same box, and since some of them may be different sizes, some of the boxes

1 comment:

The Cloud N◦9 said...

Yup, I accept this good point our postman could guess the receiver house… but I have had bad experience one time, when I received scratched Certificate it’s hard to forgive indeed.

Lately, I order at Amazon.fr at normal shipping. Delivery time is shorter (6-10 days) if you cannot read you can use web-translator and guess because all templates are the same.