Monday, May 08, 2006

Recommended Site: AweZoom - Flash and Music

During my younger years when I was composing music, I happen to like to listen to lesser known musicians from all around the world. One of the music scene that I was intrigued by was this MOD format. For those who don't know, the MOD format is the Amiga format for music. Amiga is one of the world's most popular computers during its days, and is known for its high quality audio and video production software. One of the formats used in music was called the MOD format or module format. What the MOD format was in essence was that in the MOD file, it contains samples of the music and also how it is played similar to the MIDI file. What the MOD file was famous for was the ability to provide high quality music (by using the in file sample) at a small size. It provides higher quality music than the MIDI format (as the sample in the file is usually higher quality than the synthesized sound of the MIDI soundcard), and is a fraction of the size of an actual sampled recording. As the MOD format being a fringe format, the format was never popularized in the PC users, and later with soundcards such as the SoundBlaster Live! having programmable wave tables (SoundFonts), the MOD file were of less relevance.

Many earlier online and computer musicians used this format, and I've managed to hear many great songs from many different artists who have been sharing their work through the Internet through this format. One of the artist that I remembered his music well was a DJ (or trackers) named Awesome (or Awezoom), in which I had the pleasure to happen to find one of his gems - For a New World, which is one of my favorite musical pieces up to this day.

Anyway, a few days ago, I decided to take a look around to see if any of these trackers I've listened to earlier had any web presence. During my searches, I found the website of the tracker Awesome at http://www.awezoom.com/. Do take some time to visit his site, it is pretty interesting :)

1 comment:

Puvanai Dardarananda said...

Ajarn Chang,

I recommend you try out this site
http://www.8bitpeoples.com/

They are making music from 8-bit machine. IE. famicom, gameboy, amiga, etc. . .

Regards
Mon