Monday, July 16, 2007

The Not So Forensic Science of Computing Habits

As teaching computer programming, one of my duties is to proctor my own programming exam. To make things as fair as possible, I have a routine that before every exam, I have to clear and purge the files from all the computers in the room.

During my purges, I have to admit that at times I am surprised at the amount of junk I find in the computers. In most cases, you would see that a number of students would be installing games, especially in the far off ends of the lab. Some of the students browse the Internet in class - both for academic and leisure. One of the programs that I hate are instant messaging clients such as MSN which is regularly used to submit answers to each other.

One of the things that I find amusing is at times some of the people setup their messaging client to automatically log in, which is extremely dangerous in a public lab. Another interesting topic that could be picked up is the log of received files in the lab. Most of the files transfered are assignment files and in some cases other trivial stuff. Once going through hundreds of computers, I can say its easy to see a pattern emerging from observing all the excessive files, logs, and mis-configurations of people previously using the lab. Try doing the same thing. You'll be surprised at some of the things you might learn from that.

No comments: