Thursday, June 01, 2006

Two New Books for Me!

I just visited the bookstore to find something new to read. One of my favorite sections was the history section where I usually like browsing through biographies of personalities that shaped the world as they are today. Another section that I liked alot are the Classics section. As opposed to modern books that are rather expensive, the great part about Classic books is that they are considerably cheaper. During my foray there, I got two new books. The first book I got myself was On War by Carl von Clausewitz. That book is considered to be one of the most important book in the warfare literature that is utilized by many modern military men of this era. Another book that I picked up was Rights of Man which was written by Thomas Paine who many considered as one of the important thinkers that provided the model for the current social welfare programs that are used today. Though I don't believe in the actual benefits of many of the programs suggested by his ground breaking transcript, I do have to point I agree with many of his idealistic ideals on a number of different topics. Talking about that book, the following quote outlines one of my current concern today:

Many things in the English Government appear to me the reverse of what they ought to be and what they are said to be. The Parliament, imperfectly and capriciously elected as it is, is nevertheless supposed to hold the national purse in trust for the nation; but in the manner in which an English Parliament is constructed it is like a man being both the mortgager and mortgagee, and in the case of misapplication of trust it is the criminal sitting in the judgement himself.
- From Rights of Man by Thomas Paine

No comments: