Sunday, April 30, 2006

Messing around with Mambo

Two weeks ago I was asked to come up with the website of the Faculty of Science and Technology Alumni Party (TelnetSci 2006). One of the requirements I was asked to work on was to make a registration page so that alumnis can register if they wanted to join the party and one of the staff would contact back. Since I was a little lazy to create the site completely from stratch, I've decided to work with modContent Management Systems (CMS). Some of the requirements I had to fulfill was that the registration system must be relatively flexbile as the fields for every user was not fixed yet. Another important info is that the site must be able to list all the registered members sorted by the ID. The last part is that it should relatively easy for the administrator to change or edit the site.

What I used was Mambo and the Community Builder modification. I kind of liked the Mambo CMS because of its simplicity and ease of design. Initially I had some minor difficulties to set up Mambo on my test server, but as usual the subtle difference between MySQL 4.0 and MySQL5.0 does cause some strange errors from place to place so its alittle irritating on the first go. Anyway, the site is nearly up, just waiting for final approval on the workflow and later on to mod the template just a little bit more.

Anyway, haven't been doing websites for a long time. Its such a long time, I have to admit that its easy to be rusty without constant practice :)

No comments: